Nurse Practitioner Medical Management Cancer Survivorship Program
Syracuse, NY 13057-2050
- Provide a onetime survivorship visit with a treatment summary and follow up care plan to medical oncology patients who have received definitive treatment in the curative setting.
- Provide genetic risk pre test counseling to patients who have been identified as at higher risk of having a genetic mutation based on NCCN guidelines
- Provide direct patient care to a specific caseload of patients who are assigned to the survivorship clinic.
- Continue to grow and develop the survivorship program and genetic risk assessment program.
Meet with individual patients who have recently completed curative chemotherapy. Discuss their completed treatment, next steps, latent side effects, symptoms to report, wellness, screening and follow up care. Provide written treatment summary and follow up care plan to patient, referring doctor and primary care provider.Meet with individual patients who have received curative therapy such as surgery and/or radiation and are taking hormonal therapy in the adjuvant setting. These visits will occur approximately 6 weeks after initiation of hormonal therapy. Discuss previous treatment, hormonal treatment, potential side effects, follow up care, symptoms to report. Provide treatment summary and follow up care plan to patient, referring doctor and primary care provider.
- Make appropriate referrals as needed to social work, cancer rehabilitation, registered dietician, outside support services, YMCA cancer programs etc.
- Use NCCN and ASCO guidelines for symptoms and toxicities related to treatment
- Discuss toxicities with primary oncology care team
- Work with MD’s NP/PA’s, nurses and EMR staff to identify patients who are eligible for survivorship program
- Knowledge of professional nursing theory, practice, and medical care to give and evaluate patient care.
- Knowledge of organizational policies, regulations and procedures to administer patient care.
- Skill in applying and modifying the principles, methods and techniques of professional nursing to provide ongoing patient care.
- Skill in developing and maintaining department quality assurance.
- Successful completion of an approved Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant program with MS degree
- Prefer Advance Genetics Nursing Certification (AGN-BC).
- Authorized to issue prescriptions pursuant to Section 6902 (3) (b) of the Education Law having completed instruction satisfactory to the department in New York State and Federal laws and regulations relating to prescriptions and record keeping and in accordance with the practice